Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
18650 battery charged with solar panel
If i understood corectly everything i need to power with these would work on 6V system? Usb outlets are 5v and that hotspot is stated 6v
_____
I guess it would be better to have 12v for faster charging? Anyone knows what equipment would i need to power all these things, besides panels and battery, is there need for inverter since everything powered by it would be on small voltage
(08-26-2020, 10:04 AM)Hrvatin Wrote: If i understood corectly everything i need to power with these would work on 6V system? Usb outlets are 5v and that hotspot is stated 6v
_____
I guess it would be better to have 12v for faster charging? Anyone knows what equipment would i need to power all these things, besides panels and battery, is there need for inverter since everything powered by it would be on small voltage

No you do not need an inverter, that will just loose power for you ;-(.
Use DC-DC converters, they are more efficient.
USB outlets should only get 5V, some USB gear might blow on 6V.
If you did 3s (3x 18650 in series) you could have step down converters for the USB ports (eg find ones 12V to USB are common).
12V doesn't really make faster charging, it's about the total watts from the panels getting into the batteries.
"12V" panels & charge controllers are common too.
Running off solar, DIY & electronics fan :-)
(08-26-2020, 12:56 PM)Redpacket Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 10:04 AM)Hrvatin Wrote: If i understood corectly everything i need to power with these would work on 6V system? Usb outlets are 5v and that hotspot is stated 6v
_____

No you do not need an inverter, that will just loose power for you ;-(.
If you did 3s (3x 18650 in series) you could have step down converters for the USB ports (eg find ones 12V to USB are common).
12V doesn't really make faster charging, it's about the total watts from the panels getting into the batteries.
"12V" panels & charge controllers are common too.

So it goes
Panel
Controller
Battery
Dc converter
Usb outlets and so on
?
(08-26-2020, 12:56 PM)Redpacket Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 10:04 AM)Hrvatin Wrote: I guess it would be better to have 12v for faster charging?

I think he means for Quick Charging devices. For those, you'd need to have a QC capable hardware. And yeah, those charge upwards of up to 19V I think.
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
Actually QC charging is not efficient as it uses radio waves to send power to device being charged.
A direct cable, eg USB cable is much better.

Yes this is correct:
Panel > Controller > Battery > (switch) > DC converter > USB outlets, etc.
Is there a need for dc converter if everything would work on 6v?
(08-27-2020, 09:59 AM)Hrvatin Wrote: Is there a need for dc converter if everything would work on 6v?

Maybe, as long as you are sure gear is OK with 6V or so, but the batteries won't be 6V, & the battery voltage varies from full charged voltage to flat voltage right?
You wanted to run this at night, etc so do need batteries right?
Yes i need batteries, no matter how many of these 18650 are connected in series they will always give 3.7V?at least when new batteries. So i need to turn that 3.7 to minimum 6v if im right?
But pretty much any battery is going to change voltage as it is charged/discharged.
A Li-Ion cell is going to be between about 3.5 & 4.1V. A LiFePo4 cell about 2.9V to 3.5V.
Some gear (like your router) can happily cope with a wide range of voltage in so you can connect that directly.
USB stuff typically does not like much more than 5.0V & may blow.
The DC-DC convertors I'm thinking of are not expensive & common on eBay & some stores.
Especially 12V to 5V ones, eg car USB chargers, these are everywhere.
"12V" solar panels & controllers are also common & cheap for camping.
If you use LiFePo4 cells, then 4 in series is a good match for "12V" gear.
HRK 209.48 28%OFF | 100% New 18650 12V 32000 mAh Battery pack 18650 lithium battery protection board 12v 32000mAh for inverter miner+Charger
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKpDxdh

Can two of this kind be connected to charge controller?
Unrelated to my project, i k ow this is bad equipment just curious