Anything useful?

SeRiusRod

So today I made a visit someone nearby that supposedly was selling industrial wiring channels, but then hebrought out a lot more things.
He had boxes of things I couldn't identify or know if they where useful for my project. Solar setup & powerwalls.
I took some pictures:

image_qhojqz.jpg

image_tbivbb.jpg

A 24v contactor

image_mtelas.jpg

image_wmrpvd.jpg

230v contactor

image_vkrbkq.jpg

image_bjitcy.jpg

Electric motor protection, he said

image_luvhih.jpg

image_xtqipg.jpg

image_qxzmpw.jpg

I can't remember

image_vdqjxc.jpg

image_cawgou.jpg

He also had plenty of breakers, wire fittings/connectors (??).... but what took my attentions where those four electrical cabinets. I've already prepared one for pickup and I'll put the inverter+regulators+breaker panels in there.
Does those pictures mean anything to you. It would be nice to rebuild my implementation of "washing+drying machines/kitchen/dishwasher only live when needed" for that I would need 3-4 contactors.

And also he had some switches that I don't know if they would do as battery disconnectors.

image_cgnkja.jpg

image_hefyzi.jpg

They all seem to me step motor breakers and contactors and don't know if can be used for normal home AC.

Contactors are always nice to have. You can still use the 24V ones, just need a buck converter to run them, unless they are 24VAC, then use a 24VAC tranformer.

Alot of nice stuff. If you get it for free :D

You can basically find such gear on the scrap nowadays but they are for sure gold for those needing it.

beware of and look at the ratings before using!

But is it safe to run step motor contactors as household kitchen contactors, for example?
I'm reading the specs, but I don't see it clear. Always talking of high voltages and HPs. 3Kw is the bigger I've read in those stickers. And for an oven I would run something bigger, like 5kw min.

I found the switches to else be step motor switches. One on every battery bank would have been nice.:cry:

Free... nah! he wants 5-10 ea.

A contactor is a contactor, regardless if it's for AC appliances, or was used for a motor. AC is AC as far as that is concerned. So even if these were used to control a motor, they'd be fine for your application, or at least chunks of it.

These would possibly be great for making an ATS, similar to how daromer did his (he has videos on it) and power is auto switched from mains to inverter and back when needed (ie, like when batteries get low you auto switch to grid).

Interesting. What is an ATS? :)

Ah, I see, an automatic transfer switch. But I don't know if it's really needed.
I have a victron unit waiting. It's an ups unit on steroids and it has a relay port for switching a generator. There I would have to wire the contactor for the company supply.
What I don't like on the victron is charging from the grid. I want to eliminate this.

Then for 'this' particular application, you don't need the ATS function. However, you could still use the contactors for emergency disconnect of the DC side. Nevermind, those contactors are AC only, not DC rated. They are designed for disconnected AC under heavy amp loads safely.

Ummm... Those are three phase contactors rated at 9amps read anywhere.
Question: if I was to only switch phase, and wire the the same phase to all three ports... That would increase the rated amps and make it work as 20A?

:D :D :D

Have you seen those gauges? They are slick. If only they weren't rated at those huge values I would be tempted to put some on that box door

Well, take a regular relay and try tripping it on/off with 9A load on it. See how long it lasts ;)

400V @ 9A = 3600W

Yeah, I "think" you can parallel the input with the same phase.

Using a 3 phase contactor will work for a while, but each leg , with rest of the connections on the inside are rated for 9 amps each.

If one of the contact points fails, the other two will over heat and possible melt the plastic housing , leading to catastrophic failure of

contactor . I would only use one and have two spares connections

JimJr.

Back