Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using a Volt as a emergency battery
I got the idea that a Chevy Volt might work as an emergency battery for a hybrid inverter. Have a huawei's sun2000 usl0 inverter, which uses the high voltage LG Resu battery (400V). From what I've been able to find, the Volt's battery also runs around that range.  If the car has the dc charging option, the battery seems to connect directly to the charging port (though a contactor). So my guess is you should be able to use the car's battery as a backup for the inverter.

On the inverter, the battery port seems to be connected in parallel to the PV panels, and the highest voltage I've seen after almost a year is 450V, and the mode is 365V. If the inverter detects the battery, it will limit the voltage (think 390V?? don't recall the value), so it seems that the inverter should be able to draw from the car. For charging you would use the ac connection since you probably would gain little  (10kW vs 7.2kW? ) for the extra complication of providing a dc-dc converter and charge limiter.

Batteries for my current set up are a bit expensive and don't need them to balance the load throughout the day. I'm interested in emergency use, and our area has experienced outages for a few days occasionally. The car battery should provide a few day's worths of energy, and during daylight hours should recharge
Where would you get the Chevy volt battery.
I think the OP is referring to a whole Volt. not just a battery.
later floyd
Yeah that’s what I assumed he meant. I use 3 of the modules from a full pack
(08-28-2020, 11:35 PM)floydR Wrote: I think the OP is referring to a whole Volt. not just a battery.
later floyd
Yes, I meant plug in the car to the inverter using the charging port. If you want to be fancy, you could have the plug that goes into the car carry both dc and ac, and a box with a few contactors to switch terminals. DC to the inverter, if the power is out, and AC if available). The idea isn't something that powers the house all the time, only when there isn't any AC on the grid.

Usually, the backup ability of the inverter doesn't kick in (night), but a few times it has worked during the day. However, one time it kept trying to power the house and it was too much of a load so it kept tripping off.

Today we didn't have an outage but had there been a few times it would have been nice there was a battery to provide enough energy for the loads. If the yellow line (load) shows, there should had been enough power from the panels (green line)
Got ya, you meant the entire car
(08-29-2020, 01:42 AM)baskinginthesun2000 Wrote:
(08-28-2020, 11:35 PM)floydR Wrote: I think the OP is referring to a whole Volt. not just a battery.
later floyd
Yes, I meant plug in the car to the inverter using the charging port. If you want to be fancy, you could have the plug that goes into the car carry both dc and ac, and a box with a few contactors to switch terminals. DC to the inverter, if the power is out, and AC if available). The idea isn't something that powers the house all the time, only when there isn't any AC on the grid.

Unfortunately, the charging port isn't going to work with a Volt. The Volt has a J1772 charging port, which is AC only, that connects to the onboard charger in the vehicle. There is no direct access to the high voltage battery through that port.

ga2500ev
(08-30-2020, 04:34 AM)ga2500ev Wrote:
(08-29-2020, 01:42 AM)baskinginthesun2000 Wrote:
later floyd

Unfortunately, the charging port isn't going to work with a Volt. The Volt has a J1772 charging port, which is AC only, that connects to the onboard charger in the vehicle. There is no direct access to the high voltage battery through that port.

ga2500ev
Probably have the names confused (Volt or Bolt, whoever chose those? Undecided ). Anyway, the correct car as a DC Fast Charging port, and from what I understand, it is connected to the battery bus. The battery is around 400V and think chevy is thinking of using the basic design in several of their other electric cars. So the concept might work with other models in the future.
The Bolt has CCS quick charging, which is putting DC current directly from the charger into the battery. However, that way of charging is still controlled by the car's BMS. CCS currently does not allow 2 way current transfer, meaning you can only charge, not discharge. This is maybe coming in the future, but it certainly isn't built into the Bolt right now. I suspect that the BMS will disconnect the battery when you try to discharge.

Cars with ChaDeMo ports are known to be able to be discharged because it is a feature of the ChaDeMo standard. So you'd be looking at a Nissan Leaf or something like that.
baskinginthesun2000 likes this post
There's a youtube where the guy dropped his Nissan Leaf battery pack - figured out the wiring - and added (in parallel) a battery he built for the back.     Here's the 2nd youtube in the Nissan Leaf battery extender series - https://youtu.be/Dd0qeoDwEmY     

Ultimately these battery packs have + and - wires and a voltage and it might be possible to tap in but yet leave the car's BMS etc active.   The youtube above shows that its not impossible.  I wonder if you could 'figure out' some connection points of the battery - and run a custom plug.    

Take the output of the battery pack and find a matching charge controller (that accepts 400-500dcv input)?   And then use that to power a battery/inverter system for home consumption?

P.S. This is random thinking on my part - I have no experience in this and not pushing it... !