Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heating water with excess power
No, because that's not Float charge. Float charge only outputs a little bit of power until it senses the battery voltage has dropped below a threshold.

Watts = Volts * Amps. It will only output the amps if it's needed.

Basically the Aux port on the charge controller is "very similar" to using the microcontroller. Just you can't set custom values for it or add other functions to it.
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
He suggested to Avoid letting the battery reach float . If the element is drawing ac power then my charge controller would see that draw from the inverter to power the element. then the charge controller would simply supply whatever the element needs

Yeah I realize they are very similar. That’s why I was asking

My lithium batteries stay in float all day once charged. I could change the setting to stop battery from going into float, but I don’t understand how I could avoid letting the battery reach float, other than doing that. Or why I should.
It seems to me (when my battery is in float) that as soon as there’s any draw from the inverter, the chargecontroller immediately supplies that power even if its 100w.
Is it being suggested to close the relay before the batteries reach float? And not allow element to turn on once battery reaches float?

After the battery is full and in float, I’d then want the excess solar going to the inverter to supply power to the element. I wouldn’t want the element to be on when battery isn’t full (in float). or am I not starting the elementwhen I should be
If anyone is into building here, right off the panels at power point is the way to do it.  Once the panels go above the power point voltage you know there is excess power. Just load it with a water heater till it comes down.  I charge up a capacitor bank, monitor the voltage and PWM it into a heater element. About five 1200uF capacitors, two ICs and a FET.  Super efficient.  The capacitors store energy in the off time.  This is my 40 gallon tank in the garage just for laundry.  This is the third hot water tank with the lowest priority and the water can still get over 130F.  Be it 5W or 500W it all adds up thru the day.  I'm running two 4500W 240V elements in parallel on a 60V array. That washer also runs off an inverter from the panels with NO BATTERY.  I know you guys are battery centric, I hate batteries.

It appears uploading images here is a pain.
... removed content due to miss in response
NOTE! My links supplied in this message may be affiliated with Ebay and by clicking on them you agree on the terms.
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
(09-06-2020, 04:15 PM)norknid Wrote: It appears uploading images here is a pain.

Seems pretty straight forward. Click the image upload section, then make sure your cursor is where you want the image to appear, and click the uploaded image thumbnail. It's inserted. Not sure what issue you are having.

(09-06-2020, 04:15 PM)norknid Wrote: That washer also runs off an inverter from the panels with NO BATTERY. I know you guys are battery centric, I hate batteries.

This is all fine and dandy, "if" you have max sunshine with minimal/no shading all the time to supply enough power to handle the loads. Plus, you can't use your washer at night unless you are using grid power. If the grid goes out, you have no power if there is no sun. Batteries are just a storage medium. They aren't required, but they help out a lot. And they are a lot cheaper than super caps.
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
(09-06-2020, 04:15 PM)norknid Wrote: If anyone is into building here, right off the panels at power point is the way to do it.  Once the panels go above the power point voltage you know there is excess power. Just load it with a water heater till it comes down.  I charge up a capacitor bank, monitor the voltage and PWM it into a heater element. About five 1200uF capacitors, two ICs and a FET.  Super efficient.  The capacitors store energy in the off time.  This is my 40 gallon tank in the garage just for laundry.  This is the third hot water tank with the lowest priority and the water can still get over 130F.  Be it 5W or 500W it all adds up thru the day.  I'm running two 4500W 240V elements in parallel on a 60V array. That washer also runs off an inverter from the panels with NO BATTERY.  I know you guys are battery centric, I hate batteries.

It appears uploading images here is a pain.

With your setup, what would happen if the panel voltage raised above power point, then element turned on, but there was only 500w of available pv power at that time. I’d guess the element is getting power from the caps when there’s not enough pv available. This would be basically the same as using a battery.
Norknid, I’d suppose you are getting around 1000w max from both of those elements. I think that would take like 4hrs to heat my 50gal tank to 110 degrees. That might be an option. Although that’s a long time. Maybe my batteries would float that long most days.
you wired the elements in parallel. Are you saying you went from one element and both use the same 60v power supply? So I could power a 240v bottom element and the 240v top elements that I already have in my tank. What did you do about the thermostat?
48 (60)volt battery system divide by 16 for 240vac elements
so 4200/16 x 2= 525 watts
as norknid says 5 watts or 500 watts it adds up throughout the day.

Since your system has a slightly higher float voltage you would be getting more watts. also if you went for the 120vac 3000watt element (if you can find one I haven't been able to find one.) at 750 watts you would be able to have your top element on ac for backup.

Later floyd