Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My adventures building a Zinc-Bromine battery
Smile 
(09-29-2020, 05:31 PM)danielfp248 Wrote: I hope it remains stable, I'll keep you guys posted as it advances Cool

Wish there was a live data feed. Smile This is exciting stuff.

My fingers are crossed..
100kwh-hunter likes this post
(10-01-2020, 08:55 AM)vspin Wrote: Wish there was a live data feed. Smile This is exciting stuff.

My fingers are crossed..

Thanks for following my progress  Big Grin

The battery did 100 cycles without an issue (charging/discharging at 2mA). CE and EE evolution is shown below. Final values were CE=89.79%, EE=73.68%.

I have now stopped that test and will be doing another test running it at more than double the current density (5 mA). We'll see if it can handle that!  Cool
Bubba, 100kwh-hunter, vspin like this post
I just wrote a post about the these results using TMPhABr (https://chemisting.com/2020/10/02/zinc-b...h-tmphabr/). I am now going to try to use TMPhABr in a solid layer and a ZnBr2 at 2M saturated with TMPhABr as the electrolyte to attempt to get the capacity up to 2000 uAh. Wish me luck!  Big Grin
vspin likes this post
(10-02-2020, 01:22 PM)danielfp248 Wrote: I just wrote a post about the these results using TMPhABr (https://chemisting.com/2020/10/02/zinc-b...h-tmphabr/). I am now going to try to use TMPhABr in a solid layer and a ZnBr2 at 2M saturated with TMPhABr as the electrolyte to attempt to get the capacity up to 2000 uAh. Wish me luck!  Big Grin

Very interesting idea. Can't wait to see the results. Good luck!
danielfp248 likes this post
Good luck! keep us updated
I did some initial experiments that didn't have great results because dendrites started forming at around cycle 5, I was also having issues with increased series resistance in the battery due to the fact that the electrolyte contained some solid TMPhABr that I didn't filter and that got deposited on top of the cathode when I put the cell together (forming an low-conductivity layer between the cathode and the graphite electrode of the Swagelok cell).

I then decided to add 1% PEG to the electrolyte to reduce Zn dendrite formation, filter the saturated electrolyte and make sure to allow for a few minutes of soaking of all the fiberglass layers and the carbon cathode before putting together the cell. The cell does contain 50mg of TMPhABr as a layer between the cathode and the first fiberglass layer.

These are the results up until now, charging/discharging at 2mA to 2000 uAh (4x more specific energy than before!)

Last cycle has a CE=88.93% with an EE=71.04%. 

I am going to cycle this cell for another 100 cycles (will probably take a week!) see how it evolves. I believe this is a big step, since I was able to dramatically increase the specific energy of the device Cool
vspin likes this post
This is the current cell structure I am using:

vspin likes this post
I dont know the amount of gold/funds or excess to materials you have...meaning by this i assume/presume you can get the material nearly for free?
But i would like to tribute something for your materials, if needed, it wont be much...but 10 is 10, right?
What if more forum members think this way?
So if the need arises you can do more...., i will jump in when i think it is the time to experiment with my pre historic whatever...
(-:...oke 70% of my thought is industrial....I must be honest...
I am FULLY AWARE that billion dollar companies invest a lot in znbr and did not succeed..........

But what if we manage in hobby scale ......and in the end....like always the industry takes it all....
Just that hobby scale, a workable hobby scale, some techiethingie from 1880....

Btw i printed some of your work to do some side recherche and side investigation....
Nice write ups.
(10-06-2020, 04:41 AM)100kwh-hunter Wrote: I dont know the amount of gold/funds or excess to materials you have...meaning by this i assume/presume you can get the material nearly for free?
But i would like to tribute something for your materials, if needed, it wont be much...but 10 is 10, right?
What if more forum members think this way?
So if the need arises you can do more...., i will jump in when i think it is the time to experiment with my pre historic whatever...
(-:...oke 70% of my thought is industrial....I must be honest...
I am FULLY AWARE that billion dollar companies invest a lot in znbr and did not succeed..........

But what if we manage in hobby scale ......and in the end....like always the industry takes it all....
Just that hobby scale, a workable hobby scale, some techiethingie from 1880....

Btw i printed some of your work to do some side recherche and side investigation....
Nice write ups.

I fully fund all my home research myself - don't have the luxury of having access to high-end research labs at the moment. It hasn't been outrageously expensive though - I have probably spent less than 1K USD at the moment - since the scale I work in is really small, so I can do a lot of prototyping without spending a lot of money on materials. I honestly have bought more things than I have used - I bought a lot of sample cathode materials that I haven't even tested yet - so there's still a bunch of research to do without having to spend more money.

Thanks for your offer of donating! I will certainly consider that if the need for additional resources does arise Smile .

I also see this as a hobby, just a problem I want to understand a little bit better and - hopefully - make some useful contribution to. I have good contacts in research labs so I might choose to publish some of this research if I make some good findings and I can find some friends to expand on them or maybe I'll have the time to work at a lab for a while and get it done at a higher level. Right now my desire is just to personally understand and improve things at a small scale  Big Grin
I just published a blog post about the results at higher capacities, the issues that I have encountered and some tests I will be carrying out to try to address them (https://chemisting.com/2020/10/06/zinc-b...h-tmphabr/Big Grin