Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shunt trip on Batrium
Hi All,

Im currently using a batrium WM5 with Nissan Leaf cells (90ah 48v)  with a victron Multiplus II. Working great however I want to add a shunt trip for some additional safety. Ive seen this blog post of Batriums https://support.batrium.com/article/239-...t-trip-why

Looking to buy the Schneider parts A9N18415 and A9N26947 in NZ but the prices I get are quite high. $485.97 and $161.67 NZD

Im willing to spend that on safety however if there is a cheaper option, perhaps a different brand that is as safe I'm all ears. 

Just wanted to ask the community before splashing out on this gear.

Regards,

MikeC
Im using the ABB series. I have both one from S3 and S5 series with the shunt trip. You get them for around 60-80USD. Note that they often are 24VDC but its doable with a relay in between. Note that the inrush current is to high on those coils and can destroy the batrium if you hook them directly. If you have a newer version you can crosscheck again.

The shunt itself have an inrush of around 8-9A.
NOTE! My links supplied in this message may be affiliated with Ebay and by clicking on them you agree on the terms.
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
Thanks @daromer, ABB look to be slightly cheaper. Can anyone confirm my part numbers look OK?

Shunt release S800-SOR130 48-130v ac/dc
2p MCB 2CCS862001R0845 - 125a rated DC voltage 250v B curve

Thanks heaps.
(09-14-2020, 07:53 AM)nzmikec Wrote: Thanks @daromer, ABB look to be slightly cheaper. Can anyone confirm my part numbers look OK?

Shunt release S800-SOR130 48-130v ac/dc
2p MCB 2CCS862001R0845 - 125a rated DC voltage 250v B curve

Thanks heaps.
There are several ways to accomplish the interaction between BMS and shunt-rip but you should consider this up front and then confirm that the ABB model has the specs you need.   In my case, I'm using Batrium WM4 + Expansion Relay and 24vdc power supply to the 24vdc ABB SACE based on the hookup used by @LithiumSolar youtube - https://youtu.be/5xSFy13AEtQ

Side note - I'm using a 2 pole ABB..  which was  tad cheaper.  Some folks use the 3 pole model for additional features.    Here's one example of how a 3rd pole can be useful...  again from @LithiumSolar youtube - https://youtu.be/jBc5bLjC3cg

And be sure to hook the battery bank to the correct side of the shunt-trip.   I didn't even know this was a 'thing'... 

Who knew there are so many details to think of Smile Smile
I am using an ABB as well.  I think it's worth mentioning many of us are buying used industrial parts for our systems.  Buying new these items are very expensive.

For the main battery bank, I would go with one of the big breakers, not the ones that go on a DIN rail.  Those have a pretty high interrupt rating.  The current rating on mine is technically over sized for the system, but it's being used only as a shunt trip.
I'm using both the ABB S800 125A MCB and the ABB S800 24v circuit trip using two Tesla model S modules that's linking up to a Batrium WM5 with expansion. Additionally I have a DC to DC converter to down step from 48v to 24v (so that the control equipment 24v) .

I must admit that i on a trial unit, i fed it 48v and it worked, however i wasn't sure if it was best practice so i didn't go down that path for the production trip unit that is now in use.
I have tried running 60V through the abb and it works but the current spike is huge! And it can kill stuff Smile

You can run half the battery bank via a relay instead to it and dont get the issues. And no it wont cause the battery to go out of balance Smile It uses such small amount of energy during a trip only
NOTE! My links supplied in this message may be affiliated with Ebay and by clicking on them you agree on the terms.
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh