Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SimpBMS balancing with 2 Tesla modules
I just brought up an ESS system in our house using Victron, SimpBMS and 2 Tesla battery modules.  
I have one cell reading about .08V higher than all others after 2 charge cycles so it's limiting the use of all other cells.  SimpBMS is set to ESS mode so should be balancing all the time and it's only drawing about 1A for the last 20% or so of the charge cycle so I assume it's trying to balance.

I've limited cell voltages to 3400mV to 4050mV to conserve the pack life.  
Has anybody dealt with out of balance cells like this by charging/discharging more?
Should I expect it to balance after more use?
Could it be a bad cell that I need to worry about?
Is .08V normal? All other cells are within .001V of eachother

On a side note I got a LEM CAB 300 off ebay and it always reads -2097A.  I'm guessing this is just a bad sensor and I'll be switching to a Victron shunt but if anybody has any hints to debug this that would be nice.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!
Let the balancing do its job for a week and cycle it normally. get back after that and tell us what the difference is.

Balancing takes time if the packs are large. And balancing often only happen during full charge. I dont know how yours are setup.

80mV isnt much as such but it depends if thats how much it drift after 2 cycles or what not.
NOTE! My links supplied in this message may be affiliated with Ebay and by clicking on them you agree on the terms.
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
Sounds good, I wasn't sure if I should expect it to balance in one cycle or not.

Thank you!
Depending on size and balancecurrent including total available balance time it can take a week or more.
NOTE! My links supplied in this message may be affiliated with Ebay and by clicking on them you agree on the terms.
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh