Tritton impact driver battery rebuild?

Mikle65

Hi,
i have a triton 12v impact driver with a battery pack of 3 Samsung INR18650-15L in them. I have 2 batteries for it, they usually do 1 week for me with light/moderate usage. One of them now only do 1-2days and i want to replace the 3 batteries in the pack, but reading here i realized they might be 'reviveable' or maybe only 1 battery is actually bad from the 3. How could i test which one is good or bad, with no special charger etc.? i have a multimeter and automotive battery tester.​
My second question is that if i could replace them with bigger capacity 18650s or can i mix them, are they fully compatible etc.?​
Thanks​

Just skimming through the forum and found this.
youll have to remove each cell in the process...
From my understanding (and correct me if i get this wrong) you can charge the pack and then let it sit for a day or two. Remove each of the 3 cells and test voltage. if one cell is lower than the others, its most likely the bad one.
from there, take the remaining cells and record the voltage.
Connect a resistor to each of the cells and measure the voltage with the resistor attached. (I use a 3ohm 50W resistor).

take the resistor voltage reading and divide by the resistor used.

that is your amperage

see if its as high as it should be according to the batteries datasheet.

now subtract resistor voltage from the nominal voltage. delta V.

divide delta V by resistor voltage and thats your internal resistance. See if that meets the specs for the battery.

that should get you in the ballpark of whats good and whats bad.

Im new to the forum but this is the technique that i have been using. There might be a better way but this will get you close with a multi meter and a resistor.

Mikle65 said:
Hi,
i have a triton 12v impact driver with a battery pack of 3 Samsung INR18650-15L in them. I have 2 batteries for it, they usually do 1 week for me with light/moderate usage. One of them now only do 1-2days and i want to replace the 3 batteries in the pack, but reading here i realized they might be 'reviveable' or maybe only 1 battery is actually bad from the 3. How could i test which one is good or bad, with no special charger etc.? i have a multimeter and automotive battery tester.​
My second question is that if i could replace them with bigger capacity 18650s or can i mix them, are they fully compatible etc.?​
Thanks​

You would have to take the whole pack apart, then test each cell individually. You could replace just the one, but then the 3 would not be the same age, meaning they wouldn't degrade at the same rate. Granted, if one cell is bad, then they weren't degrading at the same rate anyways.

The others have cleared things up.
As for the replacing with higher capacity, yes, you can do that. Replace all 15-L cells with 25-R which are available in large numbers and you have an increase from 1.5AH to 2.5AH. No mixing between 15-L and 25-R.

with only 3 batteries, were not talking allot of money to replace all 3 cells right from the start.

I have not rebuilt any tool packs, but I have seen mentioned elsewhere that with some tool packs, the battery management circuit sometimes get disabled when cells (voltage) are removed.
I would be trying to check on this before trying to rebuild any tool packs (or wire in some other cells in parallel before removing the ones being tested/replaced)

Yes, that happens to top brands. Lower tier ones don't generally do it as far as I know.

Back