Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CLOSED] USA PA_Large box of laptop batteries, see pics.
I have access, but don't own the batteries pictured.  They are in a cardboard box, commonly called a gaylord or bulk box.  The shop that owns them is where I have been obtaining my 18650's.  I can't move through these as fast as he wants to move them, so, I am asking you all if any have interest in purchasing them.

Would be shipped via common carrier (think tractor trailer or such) and would require some discussions for setting up delivery as it would be 1000's of lbs.  No "free freight" options here.

I can try to get a weight, but without real.. real.. interest I am not going to count them. 

I'll be checking back every other day or so if you have any interest let me know.  When / if I can get a weight I'll add that info.  I'm reasonably sure the shop manager will be watching this as well, so if he does, letting me know we have interested parties would go a long way to getting that weight info.

Jag
Which part of the USA are you sourcing these in? Curious if they would be close enough for me to pick up (try avoid shipping when I can).
(09-29-2020, 03:36 AM)Armbat Wrote: Which part of the USA are you sourcing these in? Curious if they would be close enough for me to pick up (try avoid shipping when I can).

South Central PA, Near Harrisburg (PA State Capital).  Interstates would be 83, 81, 76 (PA Turnpike).

Jag
They all look pretty consistent are they all from the same source?
Question are these all OE packs?
Or aftermarket replacements?

Thanks

Wolf
For Info Google Drive

Great ABB shunt breaker seller River City Industrial
Great prices and superb service.
 [Image: em2566%20(1)__19172.1521541365.jpg?c=2]

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
(09-29-2020, 11:05 AM)Wolf Wrote: They all look pretty consistent are they all from the same source?
Question are these all OE packs?
Or aftermarket replacements?

Thanks

Wolf

Most are business and school laptops and because of NDA and/or data privacy the laptops must be destroyed.  As I build, I will very occasionally see 3rd party batteries.  I don't know the exact contents of this box (I didn't fill it) but will check with the shop manager to see if anything was different about this load.  Shop manager generally tells me about anything out of the ordinary.

Wanted to add, it is not the normal for whole laptops to have to be destroyed, generally just the hard drives, but this gaylord includes laptop destruction services.

Hope that was clear.

Jag
I should have a weight to add tomorrow.  It's a current box, so the weight will go up until the point someone has claimed it.  None can yet as we were unsure how this was going to work.  Thanks for all your help btw.  I'll send pm's to everyone who requests.

Other info, I received.  Just passing along. Batteries are taped for shipment before being placed on the skid.  A regular full size pick up truck, should be able to haul the load, (will have weights tomorrow to be sure) can be lifted by on site pallet jack and placed on rear and slid / pushed to the center of truck.  This will most likely cause paint damage if you do not have a bed liner of some kind.

Pick up by common carrier is also available via your common carrier.  I'll provide address when needed.

If I know in advance, I can be there as well.  (Not that that's any big deal) but, I'll be happy just to chat with another PW builder!

Hope this helps everyone.

Jag
Currently weight, for the pictured box is 653 Lbs,  (it really looks like more, but a bit less than I was expecting)  Pick up should still be simple at this low(er) weight, so no worries.  Your common carrier still an option.

I can't go tonight or tomorrow, but I am going to see if I can get a look at the list of laptops that were scrapped.. A company (may) know what was being scrapped and would have provided a list, or asked for a list, either way.  If I can get a look at that or get another look at the batteries, I'll take some more detailed pictures to see if we can determine what the cells are beforehand.

I don't know what the $ lb. is yet.  If you have an idea based on what you know, PM me.  Otherwise let me get the close up pictures or laptop types so we can dig up some more info.

Sorry I guess I didn't think this through when I started.

Jag
Shipping that large quantity at once will require some really careful boxing. Also, you are required by Federal law to label the outside of the box that it contains lithium batteries.

Unfortunately, this could cause the cost of shipping to jump very high, or the carrier may flat out refuse to courier it.

You may be able to ship smaller quantity boxes and just send multiple of them. But you need to verify with shipping. You could also go with freight shipping. With it being 600+ lbs, it could be shipped via small pallet. This would require the cardboard box(es) to be encased in a larger wooded crate surrounded with packing material and then the crate box is secured to the pallet.

This may be the cheapest way to ship that large quantity of batteries in one go
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
Most of the batteries are these two varieties.  Lets learn what we can from that,  If anyone wants to make an offer please do so in $ per pound.  I'll get the final weight then close off the box... or if you wish just let it ride until last moment.

If any questions remain or we need additional pictures, I'll try to answer / get them by end of day Monday.

Thanks again, to the community.

(10-01-2020, 10:03 PM)Korishan Wrote: Shipping that large quantity at once will require some really careful boxing. Also, you are required by Federal law to label the outside of the box that it contains lithium batteries.

Unfortunately, this could cause the cost of shipping to jump very high, or the carrier may flat out refuse to courier it.

You may be able to ship smaller quantity boxes and just send multiple of them. But you need to verify with shipping. You could also go with freight shipping. With it being 600+ lbs, it could be shipped via small pallet. This would require the cardboard box(es) to be encased in a larger wooded crate surrounded with packing material and then the crate box is secured to the pallet.

This may be the cheapest way to ship that large quantity of batteries in one go

I know the Shop Manager has shipped batteries in this quantity before, I personally have never shipped this large a quantity.  I'll _will_ be sure he reads your post.  Hopefully someone can do a pickup, all these shipping problems go away with local pickup.

Jag
Korishan likes this post
Shipping regulations have gotten a little stricter (not as in more rules, but more adamant about following the existing ones). So much so that even eBay has started cracking down on cell sell postings. (though, this may be for counterfeit reasons as well).
Just would hate for you to sell these, and then get hit with a fine afterwards if something bad happened.

I agree, local pickup would be best option.
Even someone within 100-200 miles or so this would be a great deal. Kilo-watt Challenge drove almost 12hrs to pick up cells in Sweden. So there is a market for long travel of large quantity of cells. Good luck with your cells/sells
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)