So It Begins

Heilopilot

image_nvigod.jpg

Had been looking at these for a few years, 4 grand at salvage yard then was bidding on salvage leafs online auctions to get one . Prices were a lot higher on these auctions than some people were saying they purchased for. Almost pulled the trigger at the first of the year when they were 1595.00 , lowest price I had seen. I was real busy and decided to wait, nice they went to 999.00 and got 3 for the price of 2.

Pulled the first one apart , what a thing of beauty, really just had to look at it for a while. The amount of work that went into making them.
image_evwghu.jpgimage_edqhwf.jpg

Are you planning to test them?
Or even sort them out on capacity?
Or just see what comes first?

With best regard, Igor

Sorry forgot to ask:
What system v are building?
Any idea of the total kwh in your system with one leaf?
I think i ask for more people, and not only myself.
Your bms?
Overall plan??

With best regards a curios Igor.

That's what I've been missing - a forklift! Jealous of others getting theirmegachargers, jealous of forklifts... but so cool, what an indicator of a'serious' DIY powerwall :)

Purchased 3 nissan leaf batteries from Big Battery for my power wall build.

Unless you can confirm the SoH and miles of the donor vehicle, make sure you capacity test each module. If you dont you'll likely find an annoying capacity mismatch when you assemble them into parallel cell packs, and start discharging them.

Dont expect the Leafmons to manage the capacity mismatch after you've built the battery.

My forklift is pretty handy, I'm to old to be working off the floor. Picked the forklift up at a school board auction for 101.00 dollars ,batterywas shot they had to sell no ROPS . Been using 6 volt golf cart batteries on my 3 set, never purchased new batteries always blems. Forklift is a Atlas Chambers 36 volt 3000 lb capacity.
image_jkyxjo.jpg

Heilopilot said:
My forklift is pretty handy, I'm to old to be working off the floor. Picked the forklift up at a school board auction for 101.00 dollars ,batterywas shot they had to sell no ROPS . Been using 6 volt golf cart batteries on my 3 set, never purchased new batteries always blems. Forklift is a Atlas Chambers 36 volt 3000 lb capacity.

You could put in some of the Leaf cells into the forklift? Would still require the weight of the Lead, though.
Facing similar situation with the forkliftat my work.

I like William of New Zealand build for leaf PW was going to build 2 packs but after seeing his I am going that way.Not reinventing the wheel here,a lot of people have done a lot of hard work working things out in these systems and I'm just picking the ones that I like. Doing some testing on cells now to get a handle on capacity and voltage drop. I'm going to mix the cells 1 2 3 1 2 3 equal amount from each pack for each stack to try to keep them equal . There should be a weak cell in each of these batteries,must be a reason they took them out of car.
image_zjmmhg.jpg

Heilopilot said:
There should be a weak cell in each of these batteries,must be a reason they took them out of car.
image_zjmmhg.jpg

If they were purchased from a vehicle breakers or scrap yard there'sa chance they'llcome from vehicles that have been written off. I only purchase batterysthat are allready out of a vehicle if I can plug in and confirm the mileage and SoH.

Sean said:
Heilopilot said:
There should be a weak cell in each of these batteries,must be a reason they took them out of car.
image_zjmmhg.jpg
That's is a good way to do it. What do u end up paying for a complete battery that way? I read some where Big Battery purchased 2000 of these batteries from Japan from Nissan and this is what made for the great prices.
If they were purchased from a vehicle breakers or scrap yard there'sa chance they'llcome from vehicles that have been written off. I only purchase batterysthat are allready out of a vehicle if I can plug in and confirm the mileage and SoH.

Used my press on some copper tubing 1 inch 3/4 inch and 1/4 inch ,not sure about the results. I'm going to go a different way.
image_uvgcaw.jpgimage_wjdfyv.jpg

Sold my Outlaw Wing Kart , wanted to put a electric motor system on it just way to much money to do it. Someone in Georgia is working on a build. Gives me a couple more bucks to maybe buy another battery.
image_fqrigm.jpg

Noticed on William's battery build there was spaces between stacks of cells, this is from the base plates from the small group of cells on each side. I have some 1/4 inch threaded rod to keep cells compressed, changed the threads on the one end to match mm threads on plates. 10 inch pounds of torque for compression on cells I read somewhere, thats like hand tight. My torque wrench indicated 15 foot pounds when I removed bolts. Any thoughts on this ?
image_nwnpgz.jpg

The module mounting holes are sleeved, you can't over compress the modules if you use the OEM mounting frames and threaded rod.

Back