MPP Solar vs Victron

Crimp Daddy

I know I am comparing two systems at widely varying price points, but I am just doing a little cost justification in terms of spending a premium or saving a bunch of coin.

Assuming the MPP Solar reliability isnt in question, where does it fall short?

Idle consumption?
Power conversion efficiently?
Software/integrations?
UL listing for US Grid tie applications?

I am planning an off-grid emergency power system where it would only be in use during an emergency so I am willing to overlook idle consumption. Im just a little concerned about quality but it seems like many people have good luck with these things

All above. The Price shows it all. The only difference that do make the mpp better as such is the Price

What you cant compare is that mpp have all in One units meanwhile victron doesnt

When I was looking at my setup where I have solar but also want grid charging and the ability to switch from grid to battery with no loss of power I looked at a couple different Hybrid units. None of them has it all so I was looking at 2 units anyways but with the MPP solar 2424LV I get Unverter (2.4kW), Solar Charge Controller, Grid Charger, UPS. All in one. for a Pretty Low price. Been running for about 2 yeas now with zero issues so far (Knocks on wood) Thinking about getting a second for a parallel unit or to run 240 V

I have the 2424LV too for the last 3 years and I'm quite satisfied with the unit. It's pulled me through several outages with the exception of being able to run the well pump due to the inrush current. Can't beat it for an all in one solution under $550. Others require not just a separate charge controller, but most of the time you need to buy a gateway device just to get data off it. For example I am about to install a Conext 6848 and it requires a Conext Gateway that costs $600 alone just so I can communicate with it on the PC! But if I were to purchase another PIP I'd probably go for the 3048LV if you're in the US. It can pair up with another to get split-phase that the 2424LV isn't capable of.

not2bme said:
I have the 2424LV too for the last 3 years and I'm quite satisfied with the unit. It's pulled me through several outages with the exception of being able to run the well pump due to the inrush current. Can't beat it for an all in one solution under $550. Others require not just a separate charge controller, but most of the time you need to buy a gateway device just to get data off it. For example I am about to install a Conext 6848 and it requires a Conext Gateway that costs $600 alone just so I can communicate with it on the PC! But if I were to purchase another PIP I'd probably go for the 3048LV if you're in the US. It can pair up with another to get split-phase that the 2424LV isn't capable of.

I was under the impression the 2424LV was split phase capable (some of the wiring diagrams show 3 phase)... perhaps I am being confused by the optional parallel kit.

Thanks for the heads up... I did want that capability and was leaning towards the 2424LV. I'll have to put some more though into this.

My only gripe with the 48v models is the input voltage range. My EV cells are in a 15s configuration and it exceeds the limit of the 48v inverters. For my larger system I will likely have to spend the extra coin for the Victron.

daromer said:
All above. The Price shows it all. The only difference that do make the mpp better as such is the Price

What you cant compare is that mpp have all in One units meanwhile victron doesnt

While the Victron selection isn't as good, I thought their EasySolar line was their take on the "all in one"

https://www.victronenergy.com/inverter-charger-mppt

CrimpDaddy said:
Thanks for the heads up... I did want that capability and was leaning towards the 2424LV. I'll have to put some more though into this.

My only gripe with the 48v models is the input voltage range. My EV cells are in a 15s configuration and it exceeds the limit of the 48v inverters. For my larger system I will likely have to spend the extra coin for the Victron.

I noticed that a lot of the newer MPP line are now 64V capable. The 3048LV on their website says it's 64V capable so well within the range of a 15s. I actually don't have an issue with the 24v either, only bad side is I can no longer use it as a backup unit to my new 48v without rewiring the batteries. I'll have to repurpose it as a portable backup unit. I'm thinking a crate box with about 3kwh batteries.

not2bme said:
CrimpDaddy said:

I noticed that a lot of the newer MPP line are now 64V capable. The 3048LV on their website says it's 64V capable so well within the range of a 15s. I actually don't have an issue with the 24v either, only bad side is I can no longer use it as a backup unit to my new 48v without rewiring the batteries. I'll have to repurpose it as a portable backup unit. I'm thinking a crate box with about 3kwh batteries.

You are right... this is excellent news. Nice recommendation, I think I am going to take a shot at this and give the3048LV-MK a try.

Back