32s8p pack conversion

dragonfly

I'm about to pull the trigger on some 32s8p lifepo4 packs I've been offered. The planned inverter is going to be 48v so I'm looking at splitting them into 16s packs.

Apart from the obvious cost implications one 200a+ BMS vs multiple 60a Chinese BMS are their any advantages/disadvantages to parallel connecting the 8p sections against the 16s8p section?? Or is it just a case of weighing up the cost/benefits of the BMS options??

dragonfly said:
I'm about to pull the trigger on some 32s8p lifepo4 packs I've been offered. The planned inverter is going to be 48v so I'm looking at splitting them into 16s packs.

Apart from the obvious cost implications one 200a+ BMS vs multiple 60a Chinese BMS are their any advantages/disadvantages to parallel connecting the 8p sections against the 16s8p section?? Or is it just a case of weighing up the cost/benefits of the BMS options??
I sense you have a good handle on mechanics/wiring etc - so I'll skip that and just comment with a view to operations.
- Monitor - its 1 vs multiple from a monitoring situation. If these are bluetooth / phone app - then maybe that's no big deal to have multiple BMSs to monitor.
- Failure - if the load/charge is smaller than any 1 BMS (with multiple BMSs) then if 1 fails the battery would continue to run. But if you're over the limit of 1 and depending on amp distribution between them, then if 1 fails the other(s) will fail as well.

I don't think there's any compelling right answer - just what works for you depending on the overall operational design/loads/context :)

I think you've summed up what I was thinking, if I use multiple BMS, and allow enough headroom that 1 or 2 packs can be removed for maintenance etc.

Back