Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Batrium BlockMon-8 Voltage & Temperature Issues
Hello everyone,

I've been running my Batrium system for a couple of years now and have been satisfied, until now. My BlockMon-8s are starting to fail:
  • I recently replaced 2 units due to bad voltage readings (out of specs).
Now, I have:
  • 3 units that show incorrect voltage readings (but are still within specs: -0.7, -0.5V, +0.4V from 3.32V/cell right now). A serious inconvenience.
  • 2 units that show incorrect temperature readings (out of specs: -23°C, -10°C from 29°C right now). Critical issues.
  • All units have passed the: network, synchronization & bypass tests.
I haven't changed any hardware or made any significant adjustments to my system and rarely (but regularly) top balance. Is there any way to correct those incorrect readings or is it a case of having to replace those units? Has anyone else started to see BlockMon or CellMon failures after some time in operation?

Much appreciated!

lg
Newmar Kountry Star DP Motorhome | Victron: MultiPlus 3k + CCGX + (3) BlueSolar MPPT 100/50 + BMV-712 Smart + 500A Shunt | (10) 175W NewPowa Monocrystalline Solar Panels = 1750W | Batrium: WatchMon4 + (16) BlockMon | CALB (16) 180Ah LiFePO4 = 720Ah
Have you contacted their support email with the issue?
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
(10-06-2020, 01:50 AM)Korishan Wrote: Have you contacted their support email with the issue?
Hi Korishan,

Yes, I have. For the first failure, they offered to RMA the unit. For the second issue, it seems that I'm on my own since the BlockMon is now 2 years old and they told me that my earlier RMA was a good gesture on their part (i.e. not a normal occurrence). On the basis of their answer for my 2nd issue, I haven't yet reached out to them yet (assuming that the answer is likely to be the same... out of warranty).

I wanted to know if anyone had experienced similar issues before reaching out to Batrium.

Thanks!

lg
Newmar Kountry Star DP Motorhome | Victron: MultiPlus 3k + CCGX + (3) BlueSolar MPPT 100/50 + BMV-712 Smart + 500A Shunt | (10) 175W NewPowa Monocrystalline Solar Panels = 1750W | Batrium: WatchMon4 + (16) BlockMon | CALB (16) 180Ah LiFePO4 = 720Ah
If you run them bypassing a lot with the temp limits at default 75degC, they're likely to fail earlier.
Have you tried removing power from the affected ones, re-installing & re-syncing?
I have a had a few longmon failures & keep spares on hand.
Bypassing & inherent temp cycling is a stressful job....
Running off solar, DIY & electronics fan :-)
(10-06-2020, 08:41 AM)Redpacket Wrote: If you run them bypassing a lot with the temp limits at default 75degC, they're likely to fail earlier.
Have you tried removing power from the affected ones, re-installing & re-syncing?
I have a had a few longmon failures & keep spares on hand.
Bypassing & inherent temp cycling is a stressful job....
I have 84 longmons and counting...  so this is a key topic for me.  Appreciate you sharing info on this Smile
I do avoid hi-heat (bypass) by setting "Bypass Temp Limit" at 55C on the Hardware -> CellMon page (which appears to work) and I only bypass / balance when needed - literally auto-balance for only 8 days this year when adding new batteries.