Coleman Air C160M

Bubba

I just acquired this unit along with the resistive load.

I have a treadmill motor (2hp) that I would thinking of making into a wind turbine.

Does it make more sense to have the BMS between the C160M and the batteries rather than the way Coleman shows the wiring?

Any thoughts or recommendations?

https://www.colemanair.us/vp_asp/scripts/shopexd.asp?id=583

Bubba said:
Does it make more sense to have the BMS between the C160M and the batteries rather than the way Coleman shows the wiring?

I must be blind. I don't see any bms in either of their schematics. And I don't see it mentioned at all on the page.

Perhaps elaborate a bit more on what you are referencing. Perhaps post a modified picture from their site with some arrows and descriptions.

Korishan said:
Bubba said:

I must be blind. I don't see any bms in either of their schematics. And I don't see it mentioned at all on the page.

Perhaps elaborate a bit more on what you are referencing. Perhaps post a modified picture from their site with some arrows and descriptions.
Nope no BMS shown. They think the charge controller is all you need.
I was looking at inserting the BMS just before the battery.

But I am not sure. This device is basically will prevent an over voltage situation or route the extra power to a different load such as heat pump. I have the 6x100w resister stack that they sell with for the unit.

If the bms disconnects the battery the turbine will free wheel and that could be bad. Instead I would need to set it up to be on the load.

I think I would need to set it to switch to the 600w load before the BMS disconnects on high voltage and use the use the bms as a last protection.

I don't know still trying to figure it out.

Ohhhhh, ok. gotcha. The BMS to work correctly and fully protect the battery is always between the battery and everything else. So yes, it would be in between

Solar->Controller->BMS->Battery
Inverter->BMS->Battery

So you would have a common bus "after" the BMS shunt monitoring. And for further protection, there'd be a breaker between the shunt and the bus. Actually there'd be two. One between the bus and charger, and one between the bus and inverter. You don't want the charger and inverter being directly connected for full safety/automation reasons.

When they made this device, or the documentations, they were designing it for Lead Acid batteries. LA's don't require a BMS to function correctly. They inherently will stay in balance for the most part. And when one dies, it isn't as bad as it can be with lithium.

When the dump load is engaged, I think the charge controller automatically disconnects charging the battery first. It's not feeding both at the same time, though it does continue to monitor the battery SoC.
As for freespinning, I think the charge controller should control that as well. It'll auto switch to load diverting when the battery is fully charged or if it's not there at all.

For switching, you would keep the dump load engaged until the wind turbine is kept from spinning. And generally speaking, you wouldn't take the turbine down in high winds anyways, dangerous to do so.

"When the batteries reach the trip point, the relays are activated which opens the normally closed circuit from the solar panels to the batteries. As this same, the diversion load is activated, allowing the turbine to remain running without overcharging the batteries"
"Disconnect the battery from the controller before servicing"

Follow the Coleman schematics please, do NOT install a BMS inline and/or before the Coleman controller.

Ideally, a BMS would be configured to signal the WT load diversion in the event of a fault condition (pack or cell under/over voltage etc) in addition to load disconnection and commence/cease charge control.

Treadmill belt (not incline) motors can provide a fun, educational WT project, but are seldom productive unless you live in a very very windy area, and suitably design the WT to enable centrifugal furling and very high blade speed.

Sean said:
Follow the Coleman schematics please, do NOT install a BMS inline and/or before the Coleman controller.

So you are saying to "not" use a BMS on the battery?? This isn't very safe if using Lithium batteries. All lithium batteries should have a BMS. To not use one is putting everything at risk.

Korishan said:
Sean said:

So you are saying to "not" use a BMS on the battery?? This isn't very safe if using Lithium batteries. All lithium batteries should have a BMS. To not use one is putting everything at risk.

Oddly, you appearable to quote what I've posted, butnot able to actually read and comprehend what I've posted.

I'm not sure how to explain the point more simplistically for you.

Perhaps you didnt read the second paragraph ......

Sean said:
Korishan said:
Sean said:

Oddly, you appearable to quote what I've posted, butnot able to actually read and comprehend what I've posted.

Wasn't thinking of putting the BMS before the Coleman. Was looking at immediately connected to the batteries.
Though was to disconnect and divert to the fixed load before the BMS would activate disconnecting of charge.

Sean said:
Korishan said:
Sean said:

You don't have to be snarky or sarcastic. It was a simple response of answering the question. As you can see, even Bubba positively responded to my remark. So maybe your response wasn't clear enough to get your point across 100% of what you meant. No one here can read your mind or interpret vague responses Sean.
Let's not start going down that dark path from a year ago. Be informative, not sarcastic. I don't care if you don't like me. It bothers me not at all. But what does matter is being clear in your responses so that "everyone" can understand what you mean. Just because I may have misunderstood what you meant, doesn't mean others won't too.

Back