Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for an AC coupled battery inverter with output power control
Does anyone know of battery inverters that can feed back to the grid, but with a controlled output? I want to DIY control the power output so that my home energy meter stays at zero. Modbus / PWM / 0-10V, whatever. Preferably on the cheaper side. I've seen the Victron MultiPlus, but they're on the expensive side.
Yeah, it's called a hybrid inverter. They aren't cheap

There are some that are called "Grid-Tie Inverters" that are cheap, but they are not really to be trusted. And in some places, they are absolutely illegal to use, regardless if there's a feed-back tariff or not.
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
(10-07-2020, 11:05 PM)Korishan Wrote: Yeah, it's called a hybrid inverter. They aren't cheap
I thought 'hybrid' meant you could couple both batteries and solar to the same inverter?
(10-07-2020, 11:07 PM)MrAlfabet Wrote: I thought 'hybrid' meant you could couple both batteries and solar to the same inverter?

Some are, yeah. But not all.

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
(10-07-2020, 11:08 PM)Korishan Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 11:07 PM)MrAlfabet Wrote: I thought 'hybrid' meant you could couple both batteries and solar to the same inverter?

Some are, yeah.  But not all.
I was thinking more along the lines of this: https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/_d84Mia9

There's probably a version out there with user input (instead of the amp-clamp), or I could simulate the amp-clamp input.
That's probably a different version of the AIMS inverter. Are you wanting to back-feed the grid, or only supplement what comes into your home?

If "not" back-feeding, then most of them will work. They won't back-feed when the grid is offline, which is what you want.

If you want to feed back into the grid for tariff offset, then you need to get an inverter that can do that. And there are very few that can do that and they aren't cheap.

(10-07-2020, 11:34 PM)Korishan Wrote: That's probably a different version of the AIMS inverter. Are you wanting to back-feed the grid, or only supplement what comes into your home?

If "not" back-feeding, then most of them will work. They won't back-feed when the grid is offline, which is what you want.

If you want to feed back into the grid for tariff offset, then you need to get an inverter that can do that. And there are very few that can do that and they aren't cheap.
I'm not going off-grid so I only want to back feed into an online grid, this is for an energy storage system. Storing cheap energy during the low hours (with a separate charger), using it grid-tied with an inverter during the peak hours.
There are many groups covering them https://www.facebook.com/groups/1455824754596738/ is the us based group For 60hz split phase based systems feeding 240v 60z ( not legal in most places)
a few members here use the inverter.

Later floyd

The inverter isn't legal in many places
(10-07-2020, 11:56 PM)floydR Wrote: There are many groups covering them https://www.facebook.com/groups/1455824754596738/ is the us based group For 60hz split phase based systems feeding  240v 60z ( not legal in most places)
a few members here use the inverter.

Later floyd
I'm based in EU, and I don't have facebook unfortunately. You have any other sources for me?
Lots of information in here.
https://secondlifestorage.com/search.php...order=desc
I will look for a more.
later floyd