Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Powerall with a Fronius Inverter - what do i need?
Hey Guys,

i really hope someone of you can clear things up for me cause i get more and more confused...

Some days ago a solar-guy was here and gave me an offer for a solar system with the following specs:

18x 355wp panels = ~6,39Kwp
With a Fronius Symo GEN24 6.0 PLUS inverter
and a BYD Battery with 5,12Kwh as option cause i maybe want to do it myself

the price for solar system is pretty good and even the battery seem okish but im still speculating if its cheaper to build my own battery.

Here are the specs of the inverter:
Fronius Symo GEN24 6.0 PLUS

my plan was to go for batrium as BMS

But if i interpret this numbers correctly the inverter accepts batterys from 80V to 1000V is that correct?
if i discharge the cells for example to max 3.5V, i would need a 23S pack
and if im right i need 1 watchmon from batrium for every S, in this case 23 watchmons?
if thats true im not sure if this system is really going to be cheaper..
any difference in efficiency if i do a 80V or dont know.. 200V?

AND SECOND:
lets say i decide to build my own pack.
would i connect my battery / BMS directly to the inverter or do i still need an external charger for the battery?
if so: whats recommended to use in this case?

i would really apreciate if some can help me out!

Thanks
The link to Fronius didn't work - I found this: https://www.fronius.com/en/photovoltaics...4-6-0-plus

The "DC input voltage range (Udc min - Udc max80-1000 V" refers to PV array (solar panels) input - not the battery.   I see "Compatible batteries
BYD Battery-Box Premium HVS/HVM5".
 - https://www.fronius.com/en/photovoltaics...ium-hvshvm   but this is lacking key details.     
**Might be this is a proprietary system with Inverter <---> Battery communications etc...  maybe someone will know.

If you want DIY solar - then maybe look at different equipment and get a better idea of the options.   I understand BUY + DIY battery bank idea - but if you do significant DIY (such as you're own battery bank) you'll likely need to understand 100% of the whole system - at which point you will understand equipment choices better.   I understand its a bit of a catch-22 and patience/learning can help if you're inclined that way - not sure of your circumstances.       

Batrium -  https://www.batrium.com/collections
Decentralized Supervisor....
- Watchmon 4 (older model) is a central unit and you buy 1 'mon'  (longmon for general purpose cells as an example) for each cell or pack of the battery bank.  The Mons are connected by wires that form a network back to the central unit - e.g. the Mons are typically on the battery packs themselves (for temp readings) and remote from the central unit.     For example,  I have 84packs in 6 x 14s batteries - so I have 84 longmons in a network that talk to the central unit - where each longmon reports on its own pack.   The key here is that the mons - LeafMon, LongMon, BlockMon are the same functionally - they physically hook to the pack differently.   LeafMon is made to bolt onto Leaf Cells (so no extra wires).  LongMon is a general purpose board that you can twist tie onto a DIY battery pack anyway you want but you need to hookup the wires to + and -.   

Centralized Supervisor...
- Watchmon 5 (newer model) is also a central unit - but it has 16 monitors *built into the central unit* - so you just run wires out to the packs.   Its not as heavy-duty as Watchmon 4 in balance amps.   You can add additional 16s units.

P.S. If you are inclined to DIY, and you have a few $, I might suggest you get a couple of 100w panels, a cheaper but fully functional charge controller, build a small battery, hookup up an inverter - and in general, setup a small 'solar generator'.  The process of doing this + running it for a few months would greatly increase your understanding of the right questions to ask Smile
the 80V are from the MPPT Tracker.

Battery Voltage is from 160V-500V
AND it has a battery current limit of 22A.

therefore you need at least 160V/3,5V = 46 Cells in series.

and second you do have a max battery driven output of 22A * 160V = 3,5kW

thired: the BYD Battery is communicating somehow (probably CAN or RS485) with the Fronius. Whitout this protocoll the Fronius is not acceping anything at his batteryport