DC Component Stress Testing - Need Advise for my YouTube Channel

Crimp Daddy

Hey everyone,

I've been wanting to start doing more videos that focus on the quality and capability of various components like connectors, breakers, wiring/insulation, and other stuff we commonly use for DC distribution and compare brand name vs generic parts.

I wanted to make an investment into a quality Fluke or FLIRthermal camera for the channel as well.

What I need help with is to come up with a system to be able to adjust current levels in a controlled manner for stress testing. Originally I wanted a DC load but to get the type of power handling I need, it would be very costly, even buying used off ebay.

Can anyone help me some up with some ideas? Resistor bank? Inverter?

What about an emergency stop system? ABB Shunt trip wired to a emergency stop button?

I already have the batteries which would be capable of saftey delivering the current at the voltages levels we typically use for our setups.

Thanks!

>adjust current levels in a controlled manner for stress testing.
If you happen to haveenough PV coming in (or other DC input to simulate it),the Midnite Classic Charge Controller lets you adjust amps to battery (output amps)up to86a. So maybe a charge controller with output control as an alternative? (OK, just a thought :))

OffGridInTheCity said:
>adjust current levels in a controlled manner for stress testing.
If you happen to haveenough PV coming in (or other DC input to simulate it),the Midnite Classic Charge Controller lets you adjust amps to battery (output amps)up to86a. So maybe a charge controller with output control as an alternative? (OK, just a thought :))

I thought of just using various items like that, but I also plan to test things till failure. I figure things catching on fire would attract viewers haha.

I just didn't want to use overly experience loads that could get damaged by a sudden termination of current (manually engaged shunt trip), short circuit, or other issues.

DIY resistor bank with switches to put more in parallel might be the ticket.

Depending on the currents & voltages you're planning, you could make an active DC load with some mosfets, heatsinks & other parts. Doesn't need to be expensive.
You'd have to have some limits on volts & amps. You'll also need really LARGE heatsinks.
Mosfets can be paralleled easily.
Eg have a low resistance shunt to measure current, get feedback from this with an opamp, drive big transistors as current sinks, eg something like this:
https://www.researchgate.net/figure...load-used-for-I-V-measurements_fig2_259849739

Back