Subfolders for "tools of the trade" TOT

Cherry67

Hi to all,
while searching and always learning by sniffing inot many threads, i see there is a lot of knowledge available in Tools, equipment and methods.

It happened that i read about the swiper, and only days after that i needed that idea and couldnt find it anymore.
It is, as many other ideas desribed in a thread under any other theme.

What about subfolders, where such hints, explanations and idears can be collected as "TOT"s, where it is more easy to find and search, while all the stuff would drown into blivion under all that wohy stuff in the main folders.

As example, i mention IR Measurement, Opus mods and usage, B6AC usage and specialties, undervolt Cell reviving, some wonderful procedure charts describing the algorithm to qualify the cells. If the mods allow, decriptions of known BMS. and so much more....

All that i have seen, and it is forgotten/lost) in the huge amount of (good) quality threads in this board.

The site search returns the orginl"swiper" thread within it's top five results.

Perhaps a novel approach would be to use that feature rather than randomly looking through the contents ofdozens offolders, each potentially containing very little?

Sean said:

Perhaps a novel approach would be to use that feature rather than randomly looking through the contents ofdozens offolders, each potentially containing very little?

Yeah, sounds very logical. I didnt remember swiper, but had in mind swisher for the search. Guess what happened ?

What if you dont remember the special name or term, or look for something you cannot name in a few searching words ? Do you find all interesting Opus Mods in one search ?

And therefore my proposal.
It would as well be helpful for the newcomers, which dont remember keywords, but find a place where Equipment, tools and such are conzentrated.

Cherry67 said:
Sean said:

Yeah, sounds very logical. I didnt remember swiper, but had in mind swisher for the search. Guess what happened ?

What if you dont remember the special name or term, or look for something you cannot name in a few searching words ? Do you find all interesting Opus Mods in one search ?

It would as well be helpful for the newcomers, which dont remember keywords, but find a place where Equipment, tools and such are conzentrated.

Agreed. Searching is difficult if you don't know what you are looking for. There are quite a few DIY tools and testers listed on this site. As well as various mods (such as the fan and case mods for the Opus).

However it probably comes down to time constraints. It would be time consuming to dig out and move the appropriate threads to a new section.

Geek said:
Cherry67 said:
Sean said:

Agreed. Searching is difficult if you don't know what you are looking for. There are quite a few DIY tools and testers listed on this site. As well as various mods (such as the fan and case mods for the Opus).

However it probably comes down to time constraints. It would be time consuming to dig out and move the appropriate threads to a new section.

Valid consideration.
I had not thought about digging through all the old stuff. Es pecially not as the task of the mods.
I think the users of this board are very "conform" together, and they would take the task of finding the "goodies" and just place a link under the TOT folder.
New upcoming things could be directly described there, once it is clear something is interesting enough to belong there.

In the end, all the informations here come from the users themselves, and many go through the pains spending their time to dokument things for others.

We have the FAQ and perhaps thats what you are looking for? A collection of links on a page?

It doesn't make sense to create separate sections for such unique topics like opus mods. How many opus mods are there? 2 or 3? Chances are if you want to mod your opus, you know what you're doing to it, such as installing a new fan. In that case, you can use the search tool and search for "Opus Fan" and click "search entire post".

What happens is you end up with a never-ending list of specific topics people want to create as separate sections. Where does it stop? 10 subforums? 500 subforums? The general rule of thumb is a new forum is needed if a forum contains an unbalanced amount of threads or pages of the same type thread. If you look in the "Cell Harvesting & Testing" forum, there is 25 threads and the last thread on the page is over a week old (October 31st). It does not make sense to break this section down further into subforums such as "Opus Mod".

If you're having trouble searching, I'd be happy to help with that. Of course, searching depends on people entering proper titles such as "Opus Fan Replacement" rather than "haz br0ken fan". I try to fix such titles when I find them.

Also, please note on the search form, the options "Show Results as threads or posts" can significantly help return better results. For example, if you search for "Opus Fan" now and have it set on threads, you'll get three results back that look somewhat unrelated, such as "Red Sanyo 18650 Cells Getting Hot While Charging". If you were to click "show results as posts", you'll get back the same thread with a link to and preview of the exact post in the thread that references the search term.

This really just sounds like learning to use the search tool better...

daromer said:
We have the FAQ and perhaps thats what you are looking for? A collection of links on a page?

Daromer, i do not try to push my proposal, i am trying to improve a problem i see, which i have described.
You are right, collected FAQ issues are a similar Method to that, what i have proposed.

Basically some kind of Wiki would be a solution as well, its always the same problem when you have boards where knowledge is gained and shared.

Currently I dont have a problem to search here so its hard for me to see the problem either. I know that its always hard in beginning to search and its a matter of learning how to do it .

Put up a collection of best threads is doable but how do you determine to be on it? In the end it can easily be to big and you end up with same issue once again :)

mike said:
It doesn't make sense to create separate sections for such unique topics like opus mods. How many opus mods are there? 2 or 3? Chances are if you want to mod your opus, you know what you're doing to it, such as installing a new fan. In that case, you can use the search tool and search for "Opus Fan" and click "search entire post".

What happens is you end up with a never-ending list of specific topics people want to create as separate sections. Where does it stop? 10 subforums? 500 subforums? The general rule of thumb is a new forum is needed if a forum contains an unbalanced amount of threads or pages of the same type thread. If you look in the "Cell Harvesting & Testing" forum, there is 25 threads and the last thread on the page is over a week old (October 31st). It does not make sense to break this section down further into subforums such as "Opus Mod".

If you're having trouble searching, I'd be happy to help with that. Of course, searching depends on people entering proper titles such as "Opus Fan Replacement" rather than "haz br0ken fan". I try to fix such titles when I find them.

Mike, before i answer, i want to say that i have the utmost possible respect for the Board as it is, for all your efforts and that of the Mods. Always kind, always polite, always helpfull when somebody ask the most simple questions which could have been answered by looking into the FAQ, and deeply knowledgeable on all kinds of difficult problems which may come up. You trust the users in giving them unlimited editing rights, and i use that often to correct typos or write longer post in parts.
I do not know so many boards, but for what i know you have created the absolut best, comfortable and helpful board here i have ever seen.
Special thanks to you for all that.

I understand that the TOT folder idea can go in the wrong direction, when the users do not understand the idea. But i have just proposed this as a kind, because i have no better idea.

I may not be the best in searching, you are most probably right. I have the small excuse that english is not my born language, and on special techical items i am often unsure about proper wording.

mike said:
Also, please note on the search form, the options "Show Results as threads or posts" can significantly help return better results. For example, if you search for "Opus Fan" now and have it set on threads, you'll get three results back that look somewhat unrelated, such as "Red Sanyo 18650 Cells Getting Hot While Charging". If you were to click "show results as posts", you'll get back the same thread with a link to and preview of the exact post in the thread that references the search term.

This really just sounds like learning to use the search tool better...
Mike, i promise to try searching when i have something in mind.
I am sneaking around very often anyway, the board is a valuable repository on the them, so much to learn for me.

I remember i have read a post about advanced searching at the times the internet was still an upcoming baby.
Somebody described "advanced searching" as the following:
NASA hat a problem with one of their early satelites going far out. The realized they had a software error on board. The searched for an enginer (Student) knowledgeable of that old programming language, found out where he was, directed him to go to a place where appropriated equipment to program was available, send the program code and the error desription and the desired result, and got back the corrected program. all in 1 hour, which was all thy had left before loosing the satelite.
And they got it.
I have never found out if it was only a story or if it happened that way, but one thing is for sure, i was never that good. :D

I am sorry to have wasted yout time.

It would help if the FAQ section was a title on the forum's home page.

Redpacket said:
It would help if the FAQ section was a title on the forum's home page.

Thumbs up for mods and mike. Looks goooood.

Back